Make that great outfit day a whole year
There are many things that could cause your confidence levels to spiral. For example, various studies have found that social media is often a key trigger for low self-esteem (among practically age groups), meaning you may need to be more conscious about how you spend your time online.
However, our confidence can also be impacted by workplace stress, personal relationships, and even the clothes we wear.
How does our wardrobe impact our confidence?
The way in which our outfits impact our confidence is linked to how good we feel in the clothes we wear. When we wear something that we feel relaxed and comfortable in or something that we think looks good, we’ll naturally begin to carry ourselves with a little more confidence than if we were to wear an outfit we did not like.
Furthermore, many studies have found that “when you are feeling less confident, you will be less inclined to make an effort with what you wear.” For example, you may reach for the first clothes you spot in your wardrobe, as opposed to taking the time to put together an outfit. As a result, this can cause your confidence levels to drop even further.
Top Tips for Boosting Your Confidence Through Your Wardrobe
- Wear formal clothes when you need a boost. Various studies have found that wearing formal clothes, such as men’s shirts or blazers, can actually lift your confidence considerably, as they make you feel as though you are more professional and powerful.
- Incorporate a pop of color into your outfits. Our brains process different colors in different ways, which means they often elicit different emotional responses too. For example, “pastel colors like peach, light pink or lilac can have an uplifting effect on your mood,” as they stimulate the production of feel-good hormones such as dopamine. As a result, the more color you can introduce to the wardrobe, the happier (and more confident) you will feel.
- Don’t be afraid to stand out. Many people feel obligated to wear the clothes that are ‘in-fashion’ simply because everyone else is wearing them. However, if you do not feel comfortable in the latest trends, you won’t feel confident in them either. As such, don’t be afraid to stand out by experimenting with different styles and statement pieces. Your wardrobe is for you – nobody else!
- Don’t forget to accesorize. Finding the perfect accessories for your outfit can also make you feel a little more confident, as this helps to complete your outfit. Furthermore, it can be a great way to showcase your unique personality or style through unique accessories. If you’re working with a tight budget, try shopping for accessories online, on sites such as Etsy, as you can find high-quality products here for a great price. Furthermore, it also means you’re supporting a small business!
- Follow different fashion accounts. Following fashion influencers or stylists on social media can be a great way to discover new styles or pieces of clothing that will make you feel great each time you stand in front of the mirror.