A fun, easy and educational craft for toddlers! Why not try making the counting caterpillar with your little one?
Crafts are so important to so many people for so many reasons including, hobbies, business and even helping with mental health. Crafts for toddlers and children are no different. The amount of skills they learn from arts and crafts is invaluable. From fine motor skills, imagination and self-expression. You can also use these activities to inject even more learning by incorporating them into your crafts. Whether it’s a focus on numbers, letters or shapes.
There are so many different crafts to enjoy whether they’re Halloween, Christmas or even Easter focused. Who doesn’t love holiday crafts? Then you can base your crafts ideas on seasonal fun or even just a hobby that either you or your child enjoy. You could even give your creative kids crafts as a gift. Whether independently enjoying a craft or if parents are getting stuck in too! Crafts are a great parenting tool.
Crafts For Toddlers Should Be Simple
Keeping your crafts simple when it comes to toddlers will help you in the long run. Try to keep it light and easy as they’re only little and may find it difficult to join in at first. Especially if this is their first craft experience. Making sure you prepare before hand is a great way to make sure their crafting experience goes smoothly.
That is why the counting caterpillar is the ideal craft for a toddler as it is easy to prepare and fun to put together. It introduces shapes, colours and numbers to your child as well as the added bonus of a cute caterpillar. Why not have a go at making one and tag us on Facebook or any of the official social media accounts if you do!
What You Will Need
- Card or Paper
- Cup or circle shape
- Sticky tape
- Pens, Crayons, Paints or Pencils
- Black felt pen
- Pipe Cleaner (optional)
- Pom Pom (optional)
How To Make Your Crafts for Toddlers – Counting Caterpillar
- Start by drawing circles on your card or paper. Dependent on how long you want your counting caterpillar to be will depend on how many circles you draw. Counting to 5 would need 7 circles so always add two extra for the head and tail.
- Cut these out.
- Draw a face on one of the circle and let your toddler decorate.
- Draw or have your child trace numbers or letters on the rest of the circles.
- Colour and decorate any way your toddler chooses.
- Stick the circles together to form your caterpillar.
- Add your pipe cleaner antenna to finish your creepy crawly off.
- Add string to the back so you can hang it up and enjoy counting with your little one. You could also secure it with blue tack or similar.
What Else Can I Make?
As stated above you can use this craft for toddlers to help your little one learn to count, learn their letters with an alphabet caterpillar or simply just enjoy making a colourful creature. Practice colours or shapes by adding different symbols inside the circles. Whatever aspect of learning your focusing on really.
Adding the learning element to any craft is more simple than you might think but will add so much to your child’s craft experience. Why not try out some of the various other crafts and makes we have on offer if this one isn’t for you. You perhaps have older children or want a craft to try yourself.
I hope you enjoyed this post and if you wanted to give it share you can do via the buttons below this post. Enjoy craft time with your little ones and be sure to check back soon for more fun activities as well as lifestyle posts and more.
Lots of Love,