The children have been home for 6 months and contrary to the perfect brigade, some of us need some more ideas for activities
It’s another week and that means fresh activities for children so they don’t go mad with boredom. Its nice having them home but it can be brain whacking to keep them amused. I think 10 free activities for children might help out a bit. Dont forget your always welcome to leave a comment in the section below with your own ideas. Plus I could always use some help!
Although I’m a firm believer that children should always have independent play. It has great benefits for independent learning and imagination too. Children also hugely benefit from some structured play. It teaches them to listen to direction and join in with others. That might be siblings, friends or just you but your child will enjoy it all the same.
Would it be a Tahnee’s Blog children’s activities post without some Crafts? We all know I have a soft spot for paper plate crafts. Crafts are an amazing way to engage children’s imaginations and get them to be really creative. Whether it’s making stories with paper plate masks or drawing trees and bugs in the garden. Crafts are great activities for children whilst buying you some time for a much deserved hot drink as well!
You will Need
- Large Rocks or Pebbles, as smooth as possible.
- Permanent Marker Pens
- Acrylic Paint
- Wash and dry your rocks thouroughly. Let them air dry until they are completely dry.
- Seal the stone with some sealing spray. You can find many varieties on Amazon for example. Or just use a couple of layers of white paint. This also helps the colour pop more whilst still prepping the rock for more paint.
- Paint your design on the stone and you can even use permanent markers to draw on your rock.
- If you want to put your rock in the garden you may want to weather treat it with outdoor sealer.
A super simple but pleasing children’s activities that could not only keep the kids happy but also brighten up the garden. Why not try some cute bug designs and taken it turns to hide them around the garden?
Nature Activities For Children
Now, more than ever, it’s so important to get out and enjoy nature. Its been 6 months of uncertain times but you can still get out on your own or with the family. The wind, the sky and the trees are nature’s medicine. If you’re getting a little bored with just walking. More than likely the kids are moaning on the walk back? Than you may want to give nature bingo a try. I do usually save it until the end of our walk before they can play. That way I can get them home with minimal fuss.
I have also featured another nature bingo before so if you find one isn’t enough be sure to click this link here. Why not have a go at creating your own list? The children can draw pictures and stick twigs and leaves to it? You can get as creative as you want or you can download the pic above!
Activities for children don’t always need to be so full on and movies are a great way to break up a day. As most of us now have some form of streaming service and Netflix is the one of the most popular choices. Here are five great movies to enjoy with the whole family.
Netflix Binge Watch
- Whisper of the Heart – This is the first instalment of a two part film from the amazing Studio Ghibli. After finding out all the library books she has, have been previously read by the same person. Shizuku, a young girl, decides to find the mysterious person and finds plenty of adventure along the way! This really is a Ghibli work of art and you could even encourage the kids to draw their favourite character.
- Peter Pan – He does believe in fairies, he does, he does. You know which Peter Pan film I’m on about now don’t you! Yes, hit yourself in the early 2000’s feels with this classic movie. Follow Peter Pan as he helps save Wendy and co from not only Neverland dangers. From the evil Captain Hook too.
- Tad the Lost Explorer – Why not take the whole family on a journey into history with Tad the explorer. Once a builder mistaken for a famous explorer Tad is taken on the adventure of a lifetime but will he save the day?
- Happy Feet – Mumbo can’t sing and thats what all penguins do! How will he find a way to fit into his penguin family? One things for certain, exciting and scary times will be had on this little penguins journey.
- The Never-ending Story – We are throwing it right back with this gem of a film. If this wasn’t a staple childhood watch then I don’t know what to say! How will Bastian and the characters of his fantasy book, story end? Will it ever end? Another great watch for the family!
Bake Treats and Cakes
Baking is one of the best activities for children because they learn so much from it. How to measure ingredients and values of weights. You can discuss food and it’s health properties and all whilst enjoying some time with you! It really is a great way to keep the kids busy and there’s so much to choose from to bake you can do it more than once! I featured these cakes a long time ago but you can still check it out by clicking This Link.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Cakes Cases
- 12 slot Muffin Tray
- A whisk
- 4oz butter
- 2 eggs,
- 4oz plain flour
- 4oz of castor sugar,
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda,
- flavours or fruit,
- Butter Icing
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c/350°f or gas mark 4,
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg. If it looks like scramble egg and freaks you out. Add a small amount of flour.
- Mix in the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix these really well together because you want the mixture really smooth.
- Finally add your flavours and fruits at the end so they don’t sink to
- Divide between the 12 cases and pop in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Once cooked slice the tops of and allow the cakes to fully cool. Don’t forget to slice your tops in half for the wings
- Finally once they have cool you can your icing and wings.
If you haven’t seen the giant outside chalks available from lots of crafts and toys shops. It’s time you did! A winner in our house for sure and we encourage the kids to decorate the patio in the back garden. You could practice shapes, numbers letters or even just sone creative fun. Why not get your children to take it in turns to add to a story. Each picture is the next section of the story. The creative list of ways to enjoy it is endless and there for is on the list of amazing activities for kids. Plus they rarely cost more than a couple of pound so winning all round!
I know that parenting during these strange times can be very overwhelming. When you’re staying in more than usual and the kids are driving themselves, each other or you to the brink. When even running off their energy at the park is a daunting prospect because we’re not sure where this is going. I’m really feeling the pressure too especially during the actual holidays when it’s more difficult to keep them busy. I hope these activities for children really help you and inspire you with your own activities. Do have a go to activity your children love? Which one will you try from this list? As always let me know in the comments below or leave a comment on my Facebook page because you can also leave pictures and I need inspo!
Lots of Love