mother and newborn

Birth Story, I’m back With Deets and more Gossip

I’ve been gone for a minute but I’m back and ready to share

Oh, my loves how you’ve been missed more than I am able to express. I hope you’re all well? My little family and I are doing great but today I wanted to discuss some stuff. Where I have been and why I haven’t been posting more. My posting has been few and far between for a large chunk of this year. Which after 3 years of regular blogging feels weird. The title of ‘birth story’ may give you a big enough clue!

As many of you may know from recent posts such as 5 Things You Might Not Know About Pregnancy or What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag I have been busy growing a human for the past 9 months. Last month he finally made his grand arrival and I thought I’d take a second to share my experience with you.

birth story

My Birth Story

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a hundred times. Being pregnant is hard and with my first two pregnancies, I suffered really badly. Suffering constant low iron which not only makes you exhausted it can cause bad headaches, nausea and a plethora of other ailments. I also struggled with morning (more like all day) sickness throughout both. I was so lucky to have a straightforward pregnancy this time around. The worst part was indigestion I had so I can’t complain.

With my first child, my birth story was a difficult journey. I did experience Labor however I suffered from a placenta abruption. This is where the placenta suffers a tear and so I was bleeding. This resulted in my eldest not getting enough oxygen and needing an emergency section. That meant with my other children I was advised to have planned sections. With my new baby, this would be my third and final time and I’m not sure why but I was more nervous than previously. I think it is the fact I have other children to worry about and also as you age you’re less fearless.

Third and Final Birth Story

My partner and I made our way to the hospital at 7am with my lovely sister-in-law. This also involved getting the other boys up at 5am bless their hearts. We’re so lucky to have our supportive families nearby. This meant my mum watched the boys for us and took them to school whilst we made our way to the hospital. Once we were there we were taken to a ward where we had to fill out any last paperwork. I also had to put on the very unflattering gown and bed socks and my fella had to also ‘scrub up.

birth story gown

I then had to prepare myself as most of the people speaking to me would be getting a full view of my foof in a short while! Birth stories are so glam! It really is a daunting process and I was glad my partner was with me making me laugh and keeping me calm. Just before 9am I had a midwife inform me that my section would take place at 10am and I began to feel very nervous but also so excited. It such an overwhelming time when you’re sitting and counting down the minutes.

With my last section, I had some pain when they pulled my son out so I was nervous about that. Overall though I was trying to take it one step at a time and not overthink what was coming next. Just after 9am the midwife came back and informed us that the surgeon was ready for us. I had no time to mentally prepare for it and as I slowly waddled my way to the theatre my heart was in my throat and my stomach switched places with my butt!

Going to Surgery

Everyone in the theatre was so nice and welcoming. They put me at ease straight away and soon we were ready for the epidural. Due to my leg condition I am very familiar with these so this wasn’t really a problem for me. It feels like a scratch and that’s it. Once it had been done I was led down and had to have a catheter fitted. Then I was sprayed with a cold spray to see how numb I was. Once I was numb from boobs to feet it was time to start. I had requested that the surgeon try not to discuss what they were doing. I find the medical talk freaks me out more to be honest. From first incision to my little boy being here took all of twenty minutes if that.


Now, I have to say I didn’t have the same pain as I experienced in my first planned section. This time it was more of a tender feeling with pulling sort of pain. It was all worth it though because at 9.31am weighing 7lb 3oz (my guess was 7lb 2oz, just saying) our third little boy entered the world. It is always such a magical moment to see there purple little faces.

A Birth Story Is not Always Plain Sailing

He had a lot of fluid on his lungs as he was born by section but this is very normal. We were taken to recovery and tried to give him some milk but he wouldn’t take it. This was when my motherly instincts realised something wasn’t right. He was grunting while trying to breathe. Trying continually for the next, what felt like a lifetime, in reality about 30 minutes or so, to feed him. He just didn’t want it. This is when the midwife decided to get a doctor to check him over.

It’s always really nerve-wracking when you think there is anything wrong with your vulnerable new baby. The doctor checked him over and found he wasn’t getting enough oxygen. She gave him some oxygen through a mask and by this point I was obviously crying. They said it wasn’t badly out of range but they put him on two-hourly observations just to be safe.

I was then taken to the ward and we settled in for the day. Due to my section I had to stay for a minimal of 24 hours but I couldn’t wait for my boys to meet their new brother. I also couldn’t wait to get home (hahaha). Later on in the day the boys arrived to meet their new buddy and were absolutely smitten from the get go. My sister in law brought them so everyone enjoyed a quick snuggle with him. Then it was one of the worst parts. My boys and my partner had to leave. We wanted to keep the kids routine as normal as we could. Especially as my middle child found me being away hard and he was very emotional. Dad went home to take care of them.


The observation for the baby continued throughout the night and, honestly, I got about 2 hours sleep. His breathing was improving though and he wasn’t grunting so much. Also, his feeding had improved and he was finally eating. However, by morning the doctor decided that his breathing wasn’t where it should be and he needed some antibiotics. They believed he had the start of an infection and that might be causing it. We would have to stay in for the next 36 hours for the course.

I’m glad I was thorough when packing my hospital bag so I had everything I needed. We were taken down to the NICU ward where they placed an IV line into his arm and gave him a chest x-ray. They also gave him his first dose of antibiotics. He had his poor arm strapped up like it was broken bless him. I was one very worried mum if I’m not lying. I cried numerous times and it was even harder not having my partner there with us. Also with him at home, he was worried and couldn’t do anything. It was just horrible all around.

mother and child

Thanks to Amazing Staff

Thankfully he improved throughout the day but by his last dose of antibiotics his IV line had fallen out. Now, as you can imagine, babies have very small veins so getting the line into them is no easy task. The doctor tried placing it in his other arm, both his hands and also his feet. It just would not go in. My poor baby was upset and crying. He was also now covered in bruises. It really was horrible and my heart goes out to all parents and babies who face serious problems after birth. After trying to get the line back in they eventually had no choice but to inject them directly.

By this point his breathing and all his levels were much better and where they needed to be. He’d also received his last dose of medicine and we were both given the clear to go home. I would have ran it if I could. By 8pm on the 18th we were home.

Each Birth Story is Unique

I have to say it was very different from my other birth experiences. I’m not sure if it’s because this time I had tubal litigation, meaning I can’t get pregnant again. I wanted to really savour these last newborn moments. Added to the small medical problem it goes to show no two births are the same.

We are all settled at home now and the baby is doing so well. So are the boys and are such loving big brother’s which melts my heart. I’m recovering really well and Dad has been our absolute superhero. He has taken such good care of us all and it reminds me why I love him so much.

giving birth

What’s Next for Tahnee’s Blog?

Now we have covered the birth story, I am ready to start looking forward. I want to get back to blogging 100%. I have posted randomly over the last 9 months and I don’t feel ready to go back to my regular schedule just yet. We’re obviously night feeding and energy levels are low most days. That being said I will be going back to posting once a week minimal. With the holidays coming up I want to get some good crafts and makes up. Helping you keep the kids busy with the summer break coming up.

I also want to start running a few giveaways again as I missed so many this year and we didn’t even celebrate Tahnee’s Blog Birthday! I think we’ll go even bigger next year to make up for it. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled on my social media so you don’t miss out on anything my loves.

Have you given birth recently? Are you ready to give birth now? What great tips do you have for expectant mums? Mine would be to take a book at the least. I downloaded a couple of things on my Netflix app so I wouldn’t be bored. It was a great idea and definitely helped me pass the time when the baby was sleeping. Let us know your tips in the comments below or via Facebook.

Lots of Love,

Tahnee xxx

5 thoughts on “Birth Story, I’m back With Deets and more Gossip

Let me know your thoughts